Banner Health recently has invested more than $20 million in next-generation technology that can treat or even eliminate patients' tumors without a single surgical incision. Our linear accelerators use external beam radiation to treat hard-to-reach tumors in the brain, spinal cord, lungs, liver, prostate and other areas through radiosurgery and radiotherapy.
Some of the benefits of using radiation-based surgery and therapy:
- Greater precision: Our new technology can target areas as small as a pencil point, which minimizes potential damage to healthy tissue.
- Early-stage treatment: Our equipment's precision makes it easier to treat tumors at their earliest stages.
- Fewer and shorter visits for patients: Our equipment is more powerful than conventional linear accelerators; treatments that used to take 10 to 30 minutes now take two to 10 minutes
- Less risk of side effects: Improved precision also allows for smaller incisions, which can heal faster than normal incisions. Our new technology also puts patients more at ease, which means they will move less and not be at as great a risk for affecting their treatment.
- Greater comfort: Our equipment allows patients to breath naturally, reducing their stress. Patient comfort is also increased with shorter treatment times meaning less chance of patient movement during treatment.
These next-generation linear accelerators are available at three Banner Health facilities. Each facility selected its own state-of-the-art equipment to meet its needs and the needs of the communities it serves:
- Banner Desert Medical Center: Trilogy from Varian Medical System.
- Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix: Novalis TX from Varian Medical System.
- Banner Thunderbird Medical Center: Axesse from Elekta
- McKee Medical Center: TrueBeam STx from Varian Medical System
- Sterling Regional MedCenter: Varian