Banner Health is piloting a program that allows Emergency department patients with behavioral health issues to “see” a psychiatrist via a secured video link.
Psychiatrists at the center can work with patients at:
- Banner Desert Medical Center, Mesa, Ariz.
- Banner Ironwood Medical Center, San Tan Valley, Ariz.
- Banner Thunderbird Medical Center, Glendale, Ariz.
- Cardon Children's Medical Center, Mesa, Ariz.
Banner Health plans to have telepsych installed in all our Arizona Emergency departments by the end of 2012.
Using Telepsych, an Emergency physician can request a consult from a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner at the center. When the secure video link is established, the psychiatrist works with the physician to assess the patient and create a treatment plan.
The Telepsych program addresses a national shortage of psychiatric services. It also streamlines Emergency department care and means that patients don't have to wait for transfers or pay for ambulance transport.
Telepsych is the latest innovation in Banner Health's emerging tele-health strategy which includes:
- The Banner iCare™ program, an electronic intensive care unit (eICU) that uses specially-trained physicians and nurses to back up the bedside ICU team and monitor ICU patient information 24/7.