Banner Health facilities reach Stage 6 of EMR adoption
PHOENIX (Jan. 19, 2012) -- Sixteen Banner Health facilities have been acknowledged by HIMSS Analytics, a wholly owned nonprofit subsidiary of the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, for achieving Stage 6 of electronic medical records (EMR) adoption.
As of the third quarter in 2011, only 4.4 percent of hospitals across the country have reached this stage. Banner hospitals that have attained Stage 6 status include:
- Banner Baywood Medical Center (340 Beds)
- Banner Boswell Medical Center (430 Beds)
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center (330 Beds)
- Banner Estrella Medical Center (172 Beds)
- Banner Gateway Medical Center (258 Beds)
- Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center (574 Beds)
- Banner Heart Hospital (111 Beds)
- Banner Ironwood Medical Center (36 Beds)
- Banner Thunderbird Medical Center (513 Beds)
- Community Hospital - Torrington (25 Beds)
- East Morgan County Hospital (25 Beds)
- McKee Medical Center (115 Beds)
- North Colorado Medical Center (336 Beds)
- Page Hospital (25 Beds)
- Platte County Memorial Hospital (25 Beds)
- Washakie Medical Center (25 Beds)
Criteria for obtaining a Stage 6 level requires the implementation and meaningful use of technology that Banner has implemented to support patient care. These technologies and meaningful use include:
- implementations of computerized physician order entry
- using bar-coding technology for patient identification and medications administration (PPID)
- nursing and physician documentation of care, electronic radiology imaging (PACS)
The remaining Banner facilities will obtain Stage 6 status once they have implemented the PPID functionality this year.
“Banner can have the technology in place, but without our clinicians and support staff utilizing these technologies , we would not have obtained this level of recognition,” said Lee Lemelson, vice president of Clinical Applications for Banner Health.
HIMSS Analytics devised the EMR Adoption Model to track EMR progress at hospitals and health systems across the country.
In the coming months, HIMSS Analytic surveyors will conduct an on-site review of Banner EMR technologies to establish Banner’s entry into Stage 7. Stage 7 is the final stage of the EMR Adoption Model. This achievement would place Banner in the 1.1 percent of hospitals across the country that have implemented a complete EMR system, moving the system toward its goal of industry leadership.
“This level of recognition is the result of a lot of energy, enthusiasm, leadership and support by everyone at Banner to implement, adopt and utilize these technologies,” added Lemelson.
ABOUT BANNER HEALTH
Headquartered in Phoenix, Banner Health is one of the country's largest nonprofit health care systems. Located in seven states, Banner Health owns or manages 23 health care facilities as well as physician practices and nationally recognized research centers.