Banner Health plans Sterling Sports Expo
Educational sessions geared for coaches, athletes, administrators
STERLING, Colo. (July 2, 2013) – Updates on injury prevention, athlete nutrition, concussion education and other topics highlight the 2013 Sterling Sports Expo sponsored by Banner Health.
The event is 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 3 at the Northeastern Junior College Event Center in Sterling, Colo.
Banner Health experts Steven Sides, MD, an orthopedic surgeon from Banner Mountain Vista Orthopedics and the medical director for the University of Northern Colorado, and Jeffrey Bacon, D.O., family medicine specialist at Banner Family Care Clinic in Sterling and team physician for Northeastern Junior College, will present information on a number of topics. Tracy Damrell, manager of North Colorado Sportsmedicine and director of sports medicine at UNC, will present concussion training.
Morning sessions cover:
- Reducing your risk of knee and ankle injuries
- Nutrition and supplementation for athletes
- Concussion in the youth athlete (All coaches in Colorado are required to have annual concussion education.) This session will meet the state’s mandatory requirement.
Afternoon sessions include:
- An Ask the Expert panel discussion
- A chance to see and evaluate knee and ankle braces from different vendors
- Athlete testing for 12-18-year-olds on 40-yard time, body fat testing, shuttle run, flexibility testing, and jump testing.
The event is sponsored by Sterling Regional MedCenter, Northeastern Junior College, North Colorado Sportsmedicine, University of Northern Colorado, and Banner Mountain Vista Orthopedics.
Cost for the expo is free, but preregistration is required and is limited. Guests should call (970) 526-4880 to register. For more information, call Sylvia Stager at (970) 378-4436.
About Sterling Regional MedCenter
Sterling Regional MedCenter has provided medical care to residents of northeastern Colorado and the surrounding area since 1938. This hospital offers a full range of health care services, and a staff dedicated to providing our patients with excellent care. Sterling also is home to the David Walsh Cancer Center, which offers an unprecedented level of cancer care to region. For more information, visit www.BannerHealth.com/Sterling.