Washakie Medical Center plans Camp Health Care
10 students will be selected for health care careers camp
WORLAND, WY (April 1, 2014) – Area students who are entering the 8th grade and have an interest in health care careers can apply for Washakie Medical Center’s fifth annual Camp Healthcare, to take place June 11-13, 2014.
Tasha Joseph, coordinator of this year’s event, said each day is filled with hands-on opportunities to introduce students to a variety of health care careers. “We want to touch base with every aspect of our facility and showcase the diverse jobs that are available in health care,” Joseph said.
Over the three days, students will:
- Collect bacteria samples, grow cultures and practice proper hand-washing technique
- Learn how to do stitches, known as sutures in the hospital, cast a broken bone and change the dressing on a wound
- Meet with the emergency medical helicopter crew, Classic Lifeguard, from Riverton and the local emergency medical services team
- Do an ultrasound, electrocardiogram and endoscopy
- Learn how to “scrub in” for surgery
- Type blood
- Learn to properly use a fire extinguisher
- Meet with the occupational and physical therapists
- Complete a patient care assessment.
Joseph said the hospital wants local students to get excited about careers in health care. “If we support the youth in our community, they are more likely to come back here to work,” she said.
There is no fee for the program. Sessions run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and lunch is provided. Ten students will be selected based on their applications, essays and letters of recommendation. Application information is available at schools in Worland, Ten Sleep, Greybull and Manderson. The deadline to apply is May 15. Applications can be returned to the hospital, 400 S. 15th St., Worland, WY, 82401. For more information, call Joseph at (307) 347-5756.
About Washakie Medical Center
Washakie Medical Center is a county-owned hospital in Worland, WY, operated by Banner Health, one of the nation’s largest nonprofit healthcare systems with 24 hospitals in seven states. The hospital offers expanding technology to meet the needs of the Big Horn Basin residents. For more information, visit www.BannerHealth.com/Washakie.