Nurse Extern Program
Search Nurse Extern Opportunities
The extern program at Banner Health is committed to encouraging a supportive relationship between the senior nursing student (nurse extern) and professional nursing staff through supervised clinical experiences. Our nursing staff has developed a culture of support, learning, teamwork, positive attitude, and celebration (which includes fun!). Our work together includes excellent clinical care in a healing environment.
What does a Nurse Extern do?
The nurse extern becomes involved in clinical activities that support clinical development educationally using good clinical judgment. The nurse extern will:
- Work in a one-to-one relationship with a preceptor in a designated area for a minimum of two shifts per month.
- Demonstrate level of patient skills to facilitate transition from senior student to graduate nurse.
- Recognize varying nursing responsibilities encompassing the patient's care.
- Develop skills toward future independent nursing practice in a variety of clinical situations.
- Gain an understanding of the importance of collaboration within interdisciplinary team in developing and implementing the plan of care.
- Assist preceptor in the assessment, planning, diagnosis, implementation and modification of patient care.
- Become familiar with the latest treatment modalities and medications used in the restoration of the patient's health status.
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with Banner Health's Service Standards and core behaviors.
The participant will function in the nurse extern position and may perform most functions of an entry-level nurse once competency has been established. The preceptor plays an integral role in assessing and evaluating the nurse extern's development throughout the program. The nurse extern will also be encouraged to seek opportunities that will enhance their appreciation of how other disciplines contribute to the overall plan of care.
Benefits of the Nurse Extern Program
Begin your nursing career by getting excellent clinical experience at Banner Health facilities where nursing staff welcome students and encourage them to join the Banner team. The nurse extern program provides benefits for you in developing your role as a graduate nurse and provides the leadership team an opportunity to assess the student for potential as a new graduate employee; offering flexibility to begin acceptance anytime throughout the year.
Nurse Extern Application Process
To qualify for this program you must be within one year of graduation from an accredited registered nurse program and must be able to work a minimum of two shifts per month. Search Nurse Extern Opportunities