Arts Engagement Program
Ever since her diagnosis of Alzheimer's, she felt increasingly isolated. She desperately wanted to keep a connection to her daughter and the things they loved but all they talked about was her Alzheimer's -- until the music started playing.
The Banner Alzheimer's Institute With Art in Mind initiative is a unique program for dementia patients and their caregivers.
- With Art in Mind provides free visits for patients and their caregivers to the Phoenix Symphony, Phoenix Art Museum and the Scottsdale Museum for Contemporary Art.
- It is the first of its kind in Arizona.
- Visual images and music can easily trigger memories. Participants in the program say going to the symphony reminds them of going to the opera 30 years ago.
- Outings provides not only entertainment, but also mental stimulation and confidence.
- The program encourages new friendships among people who can feel isolated by their diagnosis.
- It offers a respite to caregivers who can share an enjoyable activity with their loved one.
A $100 donation means 12 Alzheimer's patients and caregivers can go to an art museum.