Seating and Mobility Program
Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix
1012 E. Willetta St.
Phoenix, AZ 85006
Our trained seating specialists work with our patients to determine the best wheelchairs and seating components to maximize their independence and help prevent pressure sores.
Who is eligible?
The Seating and Mobility Program can help people with a variety of disabilities and conditions, including:
- Cerebral palsy
- Congenital birth defects
- Head injury
- Neurological disease or neurological problems
- Polio or post-polio syndrome
- Pressure ulcers
- Spinal cord injury
How to get services?
- Get a physician’s prescription for “Occupational Therapy/Physical Therapy Seating Evaluation”
- Call (602) 839-2317 to schedule an appointment
- Provide information regarding insurance coverage or funding source. Most insurance covers services under Outpatient Therapy benefits
- Patients can fill out an intake questionnaire over the phone to help therapists understand their unique wheelchair use and medical history
What happens during the evaluation?
- The evaluation will be done with a seating specialist and will last about 90 minutes
- The evaluation will cover:
- Patient’s mobility needs
- A physical evaluation to determine the patient’s strength and flexibility
- A skin integrity assessment
- An analysis of the current seating system, including pressure mapping (if applicable)
- We will discuss equipment recommendations or wheelchair modifications
- If necessary, equipment trials can be coordinated with the Durable Medical Equipment (wheelchair) provider
- A written evaluation and equipment prescription is sent to the referring physician
- A copy of the evaluation is sent to the patient
- If in agreement, the physician will sign the prescription and return it to the Seating and Mobility Clinic.
- Upon its return, the prescription and report are sent to the appropriate Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider, chosen by the client and/or payer source. A DME provider is where the patient can get their necessary equipment from, based on the evaluation