At Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix, we encourage breastfeeding as the best choice for mothers and babies.
We are a “breastfeeding-friendly” hospital and follow the guidelines established by the Arizona Department of Health Services Baby Steps program. This includes:
- Initiating breastfeeding within the first hour after birth
- Avoiding fluids or solids other than breast milk unless medically necessary
- Promoting 24-hour rooming-in, encouraging the family to recognize and respond to infant’s cues
- Avoiding the use of a pacifier or artificial nipple with infants during the hospital stay
- Giving mothers a telephone number to call for help with breastfeeding
International Board Certified Lactation Consultants who provide expert breastfeeding and lactation consultation are an integral part of our nursing staff. Additionally, all of our bedside nurses have received additional education so they can assist and encourage new mothers with breastfeeding.
We will work with you to meet your breastfeeding goals, help you develop a feeding plan, and provide support resources for you once you get home.
For mothers with babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) we provide hospital-grade electric breast pumps so babies can still receive the benefits of breast milk.
Other services include: