Blood Management Clinic
The Blood Management Service at Banner Baywood Medical Center allows patients to plan and manage use of blood before they go in for surgery.
The service is intended to be an innovative approach to reduce transfusion risks with hip or knee replacement surgery. Studies have shown that blood management can improve patient outcomes and safety after surgery.
Blood Management Service is recommended for those who are scheduled for elective hip or knee surgery. Our clinical pharmacists perform a simple blood test called "hemoglobin level" to see if you have mild anemia and may be at risk of needing a blood transfusion because of surgery.
Our program has successfully reduced blood transfusion rates from 60 percent to less than 10 percent among high-risk patients.
Our Approach to Blood Management
- Medications that help increase the body's production of red blood cells and hemoglobin level, reducing the risk for a blood transfusion, during and after surgery.
- Iron supplements
Goals and Benefits:
- Treat high-risk patients
- Check for possible anemia
- Improve pre-operative hemoglobin
- Decrease need for blood transfusions
- Blood conservation
- Improved patient outcome and safety
Patients interested in blood management should speak with their physician or surgeon. Appointments are scheduled three weeks before surgery to have the most benefit.
Email our staff if you'd like someone to contact you to get more information about our services.