At Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center we ask you to follow the instructions below prior to surgery.
The evening before surgery
- Ask the physician about special instructions for the morning of the surgery if the patient takes medications such as insulin, heart or blood pressure medicines.
- Bring a list of the patient’s medications, dose requirements and times of day that they need to take them, unless the patient already has listed them on other admission forms.
- Follow any pre-surgery instructions given by the physician, such as enemas, douches, showers, etc.
- Notify the surgeon if a cold, fever or other infection develops before surgery.
- Use a special anti-microbial soap to shower with before surgery. This soap can be found at your local grocery store.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight, including water, throat lozenges or chewing gum, unless instructed differently by the physician or anesthesiologist. The surgery will be cancelled if the patient eats or drinks without special instructions.
- Do not smoke after midnight. Smoking can irritate the lungs and contribute to nausea.
- Unless instructed to do so, do not bring medications to the hospital.
The day of surgery
- Do not wear makeup, hairpins, lotion, powder, perfume, or nail polish.
- Take a bath or shower the day of your surgery using the special anti-microbial soap from local store. Cleanliness is an important part of any surgery.
- Bring personal hygiene items, such as robe, slippers, etc.
- Patients may brush their teeth, but be careful not to swallow any water.
- The hospital is not responsible for misplaced or stolen items, such as money, credit cards, jewelry and other valuables. However, patients may require cash, credit card or check for their co-payment or deductible. After payment is made, please give valuables to family or friends to return home.
- If the patient wears contact lenses, glasses or dentures, bring a container to protect them.
- Arrive at the designated time. Enter the hospital through the Louisa Kellam Women's Center and go to the front desk of the surgery center on the second floor. A patient services representative will have the patient’s admission papers ready for their signature. Be prepared to show the patient’s health insurance cards.
- If the patient has an advance directive, living will or medical power of attorney, please bring a copy.
- Patients will be escorted to a patient room. Family or friends may wait in the surgery waiting room until called.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing that is easy to take off and put on. Patient’s clothes will either be given to a family or friend, or placed in a secured area with the patient’s name and brought to them after surgery.
- Feel free to ask about concerns. Our goal is to exceed your surgical expectations.