Varian Trilogy at Banner Desert
Banner Desert Cancer Center now offers cancer patients the Varian Trilogy™ Stereotactic System -- the most advanced technology available for radiation and radiosurgery treatments.
The Trilogy system painlessly shrinks or eliminates tumors and abnormalities using focused beams of radiation.
Though it is called radiosurgery -- no incisions are required.
Patients benefit because:
- Radiation treatments are more precise and shorter in duration, effectively treating the disease while simultaneously reducing side effects.
- Increased accuracy and power allows physicians to treat smaller tumors in hard-to-reach places more quickly, easily and effectively.
- The machine allows physicians to treat more types of cancers, sparing patients from invasive surgeries and/or chemotherapy.
- Recovery and healing are fast, and the patient can resume normal activities shortly after treatment.
- State-of-the-art motion management techniques allow doctors to coordinate treatment with a patient's breathing patterns allowing patients to breathe naturally during difficult treatments, thus reducing stress and increasing comfort.
The Trilogy system at Banner Desert Cancer Center also offers RapidArc therapies -- the only RapidArc therapy available in the Phoenix area.
RapidArc radiotherapy technology is a new approach to radiation therapy that delivers precise treatments in less than half the time than conventional radiation therapy.
A typical 10-minute radiation therapy treatment would be a 2-minute RapidArc radiotherapy treatment.
How the Trilogy system works
Advanced imaging capabilities built into the Trilogy system allow Banner Desert physicians to position patients for treatment with sub-millimeter accuracy. The system then rotates 360-degrees around the patient, enabling very small beams with varying intensity to be aimed at the tumor from multiple angles.
A respiratory gating system compensates for any tumor movement that occurs as a patient breathes. In addition, the radiation beam is highly precise, allowing Banner Desert clinicians to deliver treatments with unprecedented accuracy.
In addition, the Trilogy at Banner Desert Cancer Center:
- Combines imaging and treatment technologies
- Delivers the widest range of external beam radiotherapies
- 3D conformal radiotherapy
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapies
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy
- Intensity-modulated radiosurgery
- Can be used for both cancer and neurosurgical treatments.
To find out more about Varian Trilogy and how it might fit into your treatment plan, call the Banner Desert Cancer Center Radiation Oncology department at (480) 412-3808 or request a consultation with one of the following physicians:
Thomas J. Taylor, MD
Sandra Zaky, MS, MD
Devin Sloan, MD