Emergency Care Services
As the third busiest Emergency department in the Valley, Banner Estrella Medical Center is proud to serve the emergency care needs of residents.
Access to the BEMC Emergency department has been relocated to the west side of the hospital, off of 93rd avenue and just north of the main entrance.
New Emergency department now open
As part of the 11-month-long, $5.9 million project, our emergency department has gained an additional 8,415 square feet and other improvements including:
- An expanded waiting room that includes a dedicated children’s area.
- An expanded “continuing care” area, where patients wait after an initial assessment. The area has been expanded from one common room to 13 private bays with televisions to allow for more privacy and comfort.
- More intake beds. The number of intake beds increased from 13 to 20 and the rooms are now larger. Patients with a less serious injury or illness are taken to the intake area for assessment.
- A dedicated waiting area for patients who do not need to lie down to await results.
Get a glimpse of our New emergency room project completed at Banner Estrella Medical Center
Banner Estrella Medical Center is designated by the State of Arizona as a Level IV trauma center. A base station for several West Valley emergency medical service paramedic units, the Emergency Department also features a helipad for emergency air transport.
- Rapid Care Clinic
- When to Visit the ED
- What to Expect
- Family/Visitor Policy
- Emergency Care FAQs
- Financial Assistance
- Map and Directions
Featuring board-certified emergency physicians, specialty-trained nurses and support staff, the Emergency Department at Banner Estrella is well equipped to diagnose and treat a wide variety of medical emergencies.
- All RNs at BEMC ED are certified in both Adult and Pediatric Advanced Life Support.
- BEMC ED has achieved above national averages for specialty certifications such as the Trauma Critical Core Course (TNCC) and the Emergency Nurse Pediatric Course (ENPC) by our Registered Nurses.
- Designated as a national stroke center by the Joint Commission.
- Designated as Pediatric Prepared by the State of Arizona, which means we have demonstrated our ability to stabilize and/or manage pediatric medical emergencies.
The Arizona Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AzAAP) has certified Banner Estrella’s Emergency department through its Pediatric-Prepared Emergency Care, a voluntary program recognizing hospitals that have demonstrated their ability to stabilize and/or manage pediatric medical emergencies.
At Banner Estrella, we recognize that emergencies are not planned and are often stressful situations. That’s why we’re working hard to make sure any visit to our Emergency department goes as smoothly as possible—as quickly as possible.
The triage process helps determine the severity of the patient’s condition to assure that the most urgent patients are seen by a health care provider first. At Banner Estrella, as in most hospital emergency rooms across the country, patients receive treatment based on the severity of their emergency, not the order of arrival. Patients in the waiting room should notify the triage nurse immediately if they notice any change in their condition.
Good communication is key to good care. To help ensure quality communication with our patients, Banner Estrella offers certified Spanish language interpreters to assist staff and patients seven days a week. For patients who speak languages other than English and Spanish, we provide over-the-phone interpretation services in more than 150 languages. Please ask your nurse or Emergency Department receptionist about any of these services.