Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Banner Estrella Medical Center is certified as a Level IIEQ Perinatal Center by the Arizona Perinatal Trust. This accreditation allows our physicians and staff to care for patients with obstetrical medical conditions at 28-weeks or greater gestational age.
Our Special Care Team of skilled physicians and specialists includes:
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine – specialists in maternal and fetal health
- Neonatologists – specialists in the care of high-risk newborns
- OB anesthesiologists – specialists who provide anesthesia and pain management
- Fetal assessment services
- Skilled obstetrical high risk nurses
- Pediatric specialists who provide the most advanced care in areas such as cardiology, gastroenterology and urology
- A neonatal team is available 24 hours a day to attend deliveries, if necessary.
Our Level IIEQ Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) provides individualized care for premature infants and ventilator-dependent newborns. The unit provides a 24/7 visitation policy for families, encouraging parents to spend unlimited time with their baby. The unit is staffed 24 hours a day by a care team, which may include:
- Neonatal nurse practitioners
- Specialized pediatric physicians and surgeons
We offer a private care room to encourage families to use care options such as Kangaroo Care—skin-to-skin contact between parent and baby that has been proven to encourage weight gain, earlier breastfeeding, stronger breathing patterns, better sleep and a happier disposition.