Banner Gateway maintains seven (7) state-of-the-art operating rooms, two (2) technologically advanced interventional radiology rooms and two (2) state-of-the-art endoscopy rooms.
The Surgical Care Area at Banner Gateway consists of a pre-admission teaching unit, a pre-operative care unit, operating rooms, interventional radiology rooms, a post-anesthesia care unit (PACU), gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy rooms, and a sterile processing department.
Registered nurses and other caregivers assigned to these units collaborate with surgeons, anesthesiologists, interventional radiologists and other health care professionals to provide the best surgical experience possible.
Following is a brief description of the various surgical care areas at Banner Gateway:
- Pre-admission Teaching Unit – The department that contacts each patient prior to a scheduled surgery to obtain pertinent patient information and to educate them about the procedure. Department representatives also compile pre-op testing results.
- Pre-operative Unit – There are 16 private spaces in the pre-op unit in which patients are prepared for surgery and can then relax with family before surgery. Each pre-op patient bay includes a telephone and television for patient convenience and comfort.
- Operating Rooms – Banner Gateway’s seven (7) operating rooms, two (2) interventional radiology rooms and two (2) endoscopy rooms are equipped with the latest surgical, imaging and endoscopic technology.
- Post-anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) – There are 10 recovery bays in the hospital’s PACU area. Registered PACU nurses work in conjunction with physicians and other health care professionals to ensure a safe and successful transition home or to an inpatient unit. Nurses working in the PACU are trained in adult and pediatric advanced life support. Nurses and caregivers in all hospital units are trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- Sterile Processing Department – The unit responsible for the proper and thorough maintenance, cleaning, and sterilization of all surgical instruments, equipment and supplies used in the operating room.