To become a teen volunteer you must:
- Be between the ages of 16 and 18 years of age.
- Complete the Volunteer Application.
- Have a parent sign the Parent Consent Form.
- Attach two (2) letters of recommendation; one must be from a teacher and the other can be from another teacher or some other adult who oversees an extracurricular activity or serves as a school counselor. They cannot be from any family members or family friends. Please send them in with your application and parent consent form.
- Participate in a group interview with other teen applicants.
- Attend a 2 hour orientation to learn about hospital policies and volunteer program requirements.
- Agree to complete the health screening requirements of the hospital administered through the Banner Health Occupational Office located on the Banner Gateway campus. The screening will require a two-step tuberculosis (TB) skin test, a record of your current immunization records which should include MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) and tetanus, and receive a flu vaccine during flu season. These are required before you start volunteering in your assigned area.
- Agree to serve at least one 4 hour shift per week for a minimum of six months. (This means not taking off during the three summer months for camp, vacation, etc.). We do not have a summer only program for teen volunteers.
- The Volunteer Services Department is not a participant in court ordered volunteer service requirements or any school programs requiring less than 100 hours of service.
There are a limited number of teen assignments and we receive more applications than there are openings. Applications remain on file for 6 months. If not contacted for an interview within that timeframe, please reapply.
Please mail your completed Volunteer Application, letters of recommendation and Parent Consent Form to Banner Gateway Medical Center Volunteer Services at 1900 N. Higley Rd, Gilbert, Az 85234. If you have any questions, please call the Volunteer Office (480) 543-2862.