About Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center  

Timeline

 

In 2011, Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center celebrates 100 years of providing excellent patient care. Learn more about our rich history:

1911
Lulu Clifton Lulu Clifton
, a Methodist Deaconess, arrived in Phoenix to recover from tuberculosis. She only had $12 to her name but she was convinced that Phoenix needed a new hospital.

Her first hospital, the Arizona Deaconess Hospital, was in an apartment building and later she leased an office building from a doctor.

1917
Clifton and her supporters were able to get a square block of donated property along McDowell Road. Everyone was delighted with the site since it was out in the country.

1922
Arizona Deaconess Hospital nursesThe first nurse graduated from the Arizona Deaconess Hospital training program.

The student nurse was on duty 12 hours a day, seven days a week and was paid $5 per month plus room and board. For the next 53 years, the hospital had an on-premises nursing school and graduated 1,400 registered nurses.

 

1923
what is now Banner Good Samaritan Medical CenterThe new hospital was open. It had room for 105 patients and five operating rooms. It had a special obstetrical delivery unit and Arizona's first incubator. Read about the first baby girl delivered here 


1928
The hospital's name was changed to Good Samaritan Hospital.

1940s
As Phoenix, grew Good Sam grew to keep pace. The hospital had several additions during these years and added new programs. In 1947, we had the state's first open-heart surgery.

1951
The first Graduate Medical Education program was established at the hospital.

1954
Good Sam opened the first post-anesthesia recovery room in Arizona; four years later it opened a new heart clinic.

1960s
premature baby at Banner Good SamAlways a leader in obstetrics, Good Samaritan opened a neonatal intensive care unit.

Responding to a community need, it also hired the state's first neonatalogist to care for premature babies. When Good Samaritan opened the Newborn Intensive Care Unit in 1964, Arizona went from 40th in infant mortality to fifth within 10 years.

The hospital already had been well known for its promotion of mother-baby bonding, a practice it had been following since the 1940s.

1964
Good Sam opened a five-story rehabilitation institute, the largest of its kind in Arizona.

1968
Good Sam merged with Southside Hospital of Mesa to form what is now known as Banner Desert Medical Center.

1969
Violet LopezTransplant surgeons at Good Samaritan Hospital performed the first successful Arizona kidney transplant.

Phoenix social worker Violet Lopez received the donated organ.

More than 3,100 Good Sam kidney patients have benefited from this life-saving procedure. In 2007, Good Sam began an innovative paired-kidney exchange program.

Our transplant programs have grown to include liver, pancreas and kidney-pancreas transplants. Arizona's first liver transplant was performed at Good Samaritan in 1983.

1978
patient tower  Good Samaritan broke ground for its 12-story, 770-bed hospital tower. Each of its floors had 60 beds distributed in 15-bed clusters around a nurses' station. The building's modern architecture made the tower a Phoenix icon.

The expansion also made Good Samaritan the state's largest hospital and gave room for its growing programs in cardiology, orthopedics and trauma.

1979
What is now known as the Banner Good Samaritan Poison and Drug Information Center was started to help the citizens of Maricopa County and surrounding counties. In 2010, the hotline helped more than 35, 000 people with questions ranging from accidental poisonings to scorpion stings.

1999:
Laura Dreier Breast Center opened. The comprehensive breast cancer center has helped hundreds of women with little or no insurance get mammograms and breast-cancer treatment.

2000
Neuroscience research by Eric Reiman, MD, PhD, in Alzheimer’s disease detected the earliest known brain changes in people at risk for Alzheimer's disease. In 2006, the Banner Alzheimer's Institute, led by Reiman, opened on the Banner Good Samaritan campus.

2005
Banner Good Samaritan received Magnet™ status, making it one of a select number of the nation's hospitals to be recognized for nursing care.

2007
sextupletsSextuplets were delivered at Banner Good Samaritan.
The six babies and mom did fine.

Good Samaritan has delivered more high order multiples – triplets, quadruplets and quintuplets -- than any other facility in the world.

2010
Banner Good Samaritan begins a $71 million operating-room expansion.

 

Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center
1111 E. McDowell Road
Phoenix, AZ 85006
(602) 839-2000
Follow Us:  
Twitter IconFacebook IconYouTube Icon
 
 
 
Jump to top links