About Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center  

Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center History

First hospital  

In honor of Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center's 100th Anniversary, here are some historical facts that you may not have known about the hospital:

  • The hospital was established on October 18, 1911 as the Arizona Deaconess Hospital and Home.
  • The hospital is older than the State of Arizona by almost 4 months.
  • It was started by Miss Lulu Clifton, a Methodist Deaconess.
  • Miss Lulu, a tuberculosis victim, came to Phoenix from Nebraska in early 1900 against the advice of her physician who didn't think she could survive the trip.
  • Miss Lulu passed away on April 30, 1959 at the age of 90.
  • Miss Lulu wanted to provide suitable accommodations, nursing, medical and surgical treatment of any person suffering from any physical disability, irrespective of sex, color, race, religious belief or economic circumstance.
  • The original Deaconess Hospital, was a rented structure at the Carol Apartments on 3rd Avenue, South of Van Buren Street in Downtown Phoenix.
  • In 1913, property was acquired at 10th Street and McDowell (the hospital's current location) for $20,000.
  • There were 20 beds in the original hospital.  Now there are 662.
  • Janet Lowe was the first baby born at then Arizona Deaconess Hospital in 1923.
  • The hospital became “Good Samaritan” in 1928 when Supporter George Hebard Maxwell agreed to pick up half of $125,000 in bonds if the hospital changed its name to Good Samaritan.
  • More than 1400 students were trained as nurses from Good Samaritan’s School of Nursing from 1922 until 1973.
  • In 1964, Good Samaritan opened a non-medical service - A laundry that also serviced St. Luke’s and John C. Lincoln Hospitals.
  • When Good Samaritan opened the Newborn Intensive Care Unit in 1964, Arizona went from 40th in infant mortality to fifth within 10 years.
  • Good Samaritan has recorded a number of Arizona firsts:
    • Open-heart surgery 1947
    • Kidney transplant (Violet Lopez) 1969
    • Liver transplant 1983
    • Artificially conceived quadruplets (Lindberg Quads) 1986 
  • Among the hundreds of thousands of babies born at the hospital was singer Stevie Nicks!
Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center
1111 E. McDowell Road
Phoenix, AZ 85006
(602) 839-2000
Follow Us:  
Twitter IconFacebook IconYouTube Icon
 
 
 
Jump to top links