Nursing Grand Rounds
Held once a month at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center (BGSMC), Nursing Grand Rounds is a forum that offers nurses an opportunity to learn about interesting topics related to nursing practice.
The Nursing Grand Rounds program is coordinated by the Department of Professional Practice. Nurses from throughout our hospital have the opportunity to showcase their talents and share their experiences by presenting at Nursing Grand Rounds.
Some Grand Rounds topics have been published in professional journals or presented at professional conferences by the speakers. Nursing Grand Rounds provides yet another arena to share the presenters’ work with those who do not receive the journal or attend the conference. An bonus for attendees is that Nursing Contact Hours are received from the Arizona State Nurses Association.
Recent Nursing Grand Rounds topics included:
- "Mission Possible: Prevention of Catheter-associated UTI"
- "Results of a Collaborative Effort to Increase Nurse Satisfaction at BGSMC"
- Series of three presentations on "Organ Transplants"
- Series of three presentations on "Disaster Nursing"
Susan Stelton, BGSMC clinical nurse specialist and certified wound, ostomy and continence nurse, gave the first presentation in the Grand Rounds series on Disaster Nursing. In her "Wound Care after an Earthquake Disaster: One Nurse’s Experience," Susan talked about being a wound care nurse volunteer in Haiti after the January 2010 earthquake. She worked at the University of Miami-managed tent at the Port-au-Prince Airport. Her presentation covered:
- An overview of the earthquake and its aftermath in terms of deaths and numbers and types of injuries.
- The pros and cons of disaster relief nursing
- Volunteer accommodations and care environment
- Types of wounds seen
- Types of treatments provided
- Outcomes of the deployment
Susan was pleased to share what she described as "the most significant experience in her nursing career" with fellow nurses at BGSMC.
Nursing Grand Rounds is one effective method of providing teaching and learning experiences for professional nurses. Through Nursing Grand Rounds nurses collaborate and share ideas about today’s dynamic health care environment and topics relevant to clinical nursing practice.
- Susan Phillips, RN
Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center