Preparing for Surgery
Banner Good Samaritan is located at 1111 E. McDowell Road in Phoenix, Ariz.. This is where you will report to on the day of your surgery. We’re located on the southwest corner of 12th Street and McDowell Road. The main entrance faces 12th Street and this is where you come into the hospital.
Valet parking is available at the main entrance. It is $4/per use, free if you have handicap placard.
The parking garage cost by the hour and can cost up to $8/day. The parking lot on the east side of 12th Street offers free parking. You may also purchase a week parking pass in the gift shop for $20.
Pre-Surgical Phone Call
- A nurse will call you within one week prior to your scheduled surgery. The purpose of the call will be to review your medical history, discuss medications you are taking and answer any questions you may have. This is an important step prior to surgery. To prepare for your call, please download and complete the attached form. You may return the form by fax to (602) 839-6370.
- The nurse will also discuss guidelines to follow prior to surgery.
- Some patients will be asked to come in for pre-surgical testing several days prior to surgery.
The following are general guidelines to prepare for your surgery. Please follow any directions that you receive from your surgeon and ask your surgeon or primary care physician if you have any specific questions.
- Complete any tests that have been ordered by your doctor prior to your surgery. The results are crucial to your procedure.
- If you smoke, please refrain 24 hours – no drugs, no smoking, no alcohol.
- Do not eat or drink anything before your surgery for the length of time specified by your doctor (i.e., "after midnight" or "after 6 a.m."- this will depend on the time of day your surgery is scheduled). This includes gum or hard candy. Your surgery may be cancelled if you have something to eat or drink after the designated cut-off time.
Day of Surgery
- Please leave all prescriptions at home, unless asked to bring them in by your surgeon or physician.
- If you sleep with a CPAP machine, please bring it with you.
- Bathe and/or shower prior to surgery. If you have been instructed by your physician to use an antibacterial soap, follow his/her instructions. No lotions, powders, colognes after your bath. A light application of deodorant is ok.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing and low-heeled shoes.
- Please leave valuables at home, including jewelry, large amounts of cash, credit cards, etc. All jewelry must be removed prior to surgery.
- If you wear glasses, contacts, or hearing aids, you may wear them in but please bring something to put them in.
- Please be prompt so that you will be ready for your surgery at the scheduled time. If you foresee a problem with arriving on time, please notify the Pre-Op Desk at (602) 839-3132 as soon as possible.
- Relatives and friends may wait in the waiting area.