What to expect with Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBO)Therapy
Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBO) Therapy treatments are usually necessary for a minimum of 30 sessions. At Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center, you will receive your treatment Monday through Friday and is offered at scheduled times from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. The HBO Center will obtain your insurance authorization prior to the start of therapy, so you will be aware of any financial obligation you might incur.
For maximum safety there are specific rules that must be followed while receiving hyperbaric therapy:
- You will be provided with 100 percent cotton gown or scrubs to wear in the chamber. No synthetic fibers are allowed.
- No jewelry, watches, glasses, pencils, pens, books, magazines, Kleenex or electronics are permitted in the chamber.
- No hair spray, ointments, fresh nail polish, makeup, cosmetics, deodorants or petroleum-based products are allowed.
- Please remove all dental plates or removable teeth or contact lenses prior to treatment.
- If you are diabetic you MUST eat before treatment and monitor your blood sugars and medications carefully. Your sugar must be higher than 120 for treatment.
- Take any medication you need for comfort before starting your treatment.
- You may bring your own movies, DVDs, music or books on tape.
- You will be instructed on how to eliminate any discomfort due to pressure on the ears or sinuses. If your ears or sinuses become uncomfortable, please inform the staff. The problem will be immediately addressed. You may be given a prescription for a decongestant to make it easier to equalize the pressure in your ears or sinuses.
- Please make every effort to be on time for your appointment. If you are late, it will cause all others who have an appointment after you to wait. Family members may bring you to your appointment but will need to wait in the lobby. We have limited space and need to think of patients’ privacy on their arrival and departure.
- If you are ill with a cold or have the flu, please call and cancel your appointment at (602) 839-6446.