Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center offers industry-leader surgical facilities and experienced and compassionate staff to provide the best surgical experience possible.
Our surgical facilities include:
- Seven state-of-the-art operating rooms
- Two technologically advanced interventional radiology rooms
- Two gastrointestinal endoscopy rooms equipped with the latest technology.
Our surgical care area also includes a pre-admission teaching unit, pre-operative care unit, a post-anesthesia care unit (PACU), and a sterile processing department.
Registered nurses and other caregivers in these units collaborate with surgeons, anesthesiologists, interventional radiologists and other health care professionals at Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide the best surgical experience possible.
Our various surgical care areas include:
- Pre-admission Teaching Unit – The department that contacts each patient prior to a scheduled surgery to obtain pertinent patient information and to educate them about the procedure. Department representatives also compile pre-op testing results.
- Pre-operative Unit – There are 16 private spaces in the pre-op unit in which patients are prepared for surgery and can then relax with family before surgery. Each pre-op patient bay includes a telephone and television for patient convenience and comfort.
- Post-anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) – There are 10 recovery bays in the hospital’s PACU area. Registered PACU nurses work with physicians and other health care professionals to ensure a safe and successful transition home or to an inpatient unit. Nurses working in the PACU are trained in adult and pediatric advanced life support. Nurses and caregivers in all hospital units are trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- Sterile Processing Department – The unit responsible for the proper and thorough maintenance, cleaning, and sterilization of all surgical instruments, equipment and supplies used in the operating room.