Day Before Surgery
Banner Thunderbird Children’s Center professionals are here for you every step of the way. Our staff of pediatric surgical nurses and Child Life Specialists can answer you and your child's questions.
The day before surgery or at any time you have questions, call your surgeon’s office.
Our staff would like you to have a clear idea of where you are going once you arrive on campus. For a map and directions to Banner Thunderbird Medical Center’s admitting and registration, please visit our map page.
Make sure you have completed or have a list of any special preparations or instructions from your surgeon.
Banner Thunderbird also encourages you to make arrangements for siblings so that you can concentrate on your child the day of surgery.
It's important to know that there could be delays due to emergencies that could extend the estimated time you are at the hospital.
Our experienced team of surgical specialists has created a list of items you may want to bring with you on the day of surgery for you and your child’s comfort. It is a good idea to prepare these items beforehand. These include:
- Comfortable clothes for your child
- A toy or blanket to help your child stay calm
- A special bottle or cup your child may use
- Personal music devices or hand-held video games for prior to surgery
- Any medical charts or pre-testing results that the surgeon does not have
- Your insurance card, ID, paperwork, etc.
- Any medications your child is currently taking
- Guardianship and/or custody papers
The surgical team also wants you to know about certain items not allowed in the operating room for your child’s safety. List of what is not allowed on the day of surgery.