Banner Children's at Banner Thunderbird Medical Center
At Banner Thunderbird Medical Center, we understand children – when they are well and when they are not.
Our team of pediatric physicians, nurses and health care professionals know what interests children, what frightens them, and most importantly, what helps them to heal.
Quality Health care
Children’s treatment is much different from adult treatment. Our professional, compassionate team is dedicated to giving exceptional care, using the latest technology in a caring, family-centered setting. We will help you understand each part of your child’s care and keep you informed every step of the way.
Banner Children's at Banner Thunderbird Medical Center provides pediatric care for children ranging from birth to 17 years of age. Our pediatric programs and staff meet the diverse childhood health care needs that exist today.
With more than 40 private patient rooms, our children's center cares for kids with illnesses and those who need recovery from surgery. Our 35-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and a 17-bed Intensive Care Unit provide more extensive care to babies and children.
We understand that a hospital stay can be frightening for a child. We've included several features that can help:.
- Child Life Specialists promote family-centered care, involving parents and family members as partners in a child’s care.
- Supervised playrooms offer places where kids can be kids, not patients. These are "safe" zones where no medical procedures are performed. Our bright, colorful rooms are filled with toys, games, art supplies, and much more. We also have a Pediatric Therapeutic Outdoor Play Area, which is a great place for children to get some sunshine and fresh air.
- Because we want children to feel safe in their hospital rooms, we have a designated treatment room where all procedures – like blood draws – are done.
- After any treatment, children may select a special toy from our Toy Closet.
- Ouch-free” shots that use a puff of air to deliver medications through the skin instead of needles.
- To accommodate children’s very definite food likes and dislikes, Banner Thunderbird’s Food and Nutrition Services keep kid-friendly food, specially selected by our nutritionists, such as pizza, chicken nuggets and grilled-cheese sandwiches on the menu.
- When appropriate, Banner Thunderbird Children’s Center offers one parent the opportunity to accompany their child into the operating room while their child “falls asleep” (receives anesthesia). When this is possible, a parent is the last person the child sees before a procedure and the first person they see when they wake up.
Compliments of Raising Arizona Kids (RAK) Magazine.
Full video transcription is available upon request.