Safe Haven for Newborns
SAFE HAVEN HOTLINE NUMBER:
1-866-707-BABY (2229) -
The call is free and confidential.
Banner Thunderbird Medical Center is a "Safe Haven Provider."
There may be reasons why you cannot keep or care for your baby. Arizona law allows you to give up your baby without penalty. You may voluntarily leave your baby with a Safe Haven Provider, such as Banner Thunderbird Medical Center.
Banner Thunderbird is located at 5555 W. Thunderbird Road in Glendale. The Safe Haven drop off area is outside the hospital's Emergency department on the south side of the facility off Eugie Avenue.
Banner Thunderbird's Save Haven is unique because you can leave your baby in a drawer that will instantly alert medical staff that someone has left their baby. The drawer allows you to remain anonymous while ensuring your baby is safe and well cared for. However, if you choose, you may hand your baby to any Banner Thunderbird medical professional. Just let them know that you are giving up your baby under the Safe Haven Law.
Other Safe Haven Providers are:
- Any hospital.
- Firefighters or emergency medical technicians who are in uniform.
- Adoption Agencies, private welfare agencies and churches that display the Safe Haven sign.
- According to the law, you can give your baby to a Safe Haven provider without fear of being arrested or anyone trying to identify or find you as long as:
- The baby is three days (72 hours) old or less
- The baby has not been physically harmed
- You do not plan to return for the baby at a later time
If you are trying to hide your pregnancy and need somewhere to turn, please get help right away. Talk to a friend or trusted adult. There are free programs that can help you have your baby in a safe place. Help is there for you now or at any time during or after your pregnancy.
There are people who care about you and who can help you now.
- Crisis Pregnancy Centers: (602) 508-3340
- Christian Family Care: (602) 234-1935
- Maricopa County Public Health: (602) 506-1678
- Planned Parenthood of AZ: (602) 277-7526
- Shelter Hotline: 1 (800) 799-7399
CPS (Child Protective Services): (602) 530-1800