News at Cardon Children's Medical Center  

Kitchen mishaps happen: Be prepared!

Mary Parra writes our monthly Mom to Mom column  

Anyone who knows me knows the kitchen and I do not mix. My poor reputation and mishaps are so notorious , we received 12 (yes, 12!) fire extinguishers as wedding presents!  I have scars on my index finger, thumb and palm to prove my bad fortune with knives (on the good side, I am up-to-date on my tetanus shot. Quick reminder to parents: even you need to get a tetanus shot every ten years). As bad as I am, I know the importance of getting a healthy dinner on the table for my kids. So every night, I continue my struggle in the kitchen. 

The other night when I finished making dinner, one of the most terrible things imaginable to a parent happened. As I was putting the hot dinner on the table, the skillet slipped out of my hand and the steaming hot dinner fell on my son’s leg. Now, you would think since I am so bad in the kitchen I would have a first aid kit at the ready, but I didn’t! I couldn’t believe it! As my son was screaming, “hot, hot, hot,” I was rushing to put the hot skillet somewhere that wouldn’t hurt anyone else, while trying to get the hot dinner off his leg before it caused real harm.

 After I cleaned the dinner off his leg, he was left with a large red area, but thankfully, no blisters. I wrapped an ice pack in a hand towel to put on his leg, and called our doctor for advice.

I’ve heard numerous stories of kids getting accidentally burned from accidents in the kitchen. I recall a recent story of a toddler who suffered third degree burns when he pulled a pot of boiling water off the stove.  Would you know what to do if this happened to you? 

Cardon Children’s Medical Center has some ways to make sure you are prepared :
Thermal Burns
First, stop the burning process

  •  Flame Burn
    • Smother flames with a heavy blanket or use cool water
    • Flush area with cool water
    • Do not place butter or household agent on burns
  • Scald or steam burn
    • Flush with cool water
  • Contact with hot surface
    • Flush burn area with low-pressure running water
    • Never put ice directly on a burn

As for our son, he is fine. Thankfully, the burn wasn’t bad enough to cause severe harm. The ironic thing is he is the one who loves to be in the kitchen. Despite this latest accident, he still has his passion for cooking. We think he will be a chef someday – either out of love or necessity.


Cardon Children's Medical Center
1400 S. Dobson Road
Mesa, AZ 85202
(480) 412-KIDS (5437)
Follow Us:  
Facebook IconPinterestTwitter IconBlogYouTube Icon
Jump to top links