Patients & Visitors at Cardon Children's Medical Center  

Going Home

happy child  

e-mail us

Case Management
At Cardon Children's Medical Center, our Case Management staff works as a team to help each patient get "the right care at the right time." The team is made up of a nurse case manager, social worker, and a case management technician who will look at your specific needs to see what kind of help, if any, you will need after you leave the hospital.

They can help you with any of the following areas if your doctor orders them for you:

  • Home health nursing
  • Rehabilitation or skilled nursing facility transfer
  • Long-term care planning/community resources
  • Communication with insurance companies
  • Coordinating communication among health care team members

Transition (Discharge)
We would like to make sure your discharge or transition home proceeds as smoothly as possible. Once your doctor completes your written discharge, your nurse will do several things for you. First, your nurse will gather all the prescriptions you may need and review your doctor's instructions with you. Special instructions regarding activities, diet, new equipment, wound care and follow-up doctor visits will also be reviewed with you based on your doctor's discharge order. Then, your nurse will give you a copy of your discharge plan and ask you to sign it.

Once these things have been accomplished, you can make arrangements for a ride home. If you are going to another care facility, your Case Manager will talk with you about transportation arrangements.

Please remember to take all of your belongings, including any valuables you may have placed in the hospital safe. We will provide bags for your personal belongings.

If you have any questions about your discharge instructions, please ask your doctor or nurse. We want to be sure you feel comfortable with your treatment and that all of your questions are answered before you leave the hospital.

Family Assisted Transition
Staff from our Transport Department will be happy to take you to your ride when it is time for you to leave. However, you may have a family take you if you meet required criteria. To use our Family Assisted Transition program, you must:

  • be able to walk with minimal assistance
  • have a business office discharge status of "clearance or courtesy"
  • have a family member available to assist you

Please check with your nurse to see if this is an option for you.

Health Information Management (Medical Records)
Cardon Children's Medical Center's HIMS specialists are responsible for keeping a complete medical record for every patient. The department is located on the first floor between the Pharmacy and the Emergency Department, and is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

Your original medical record is the property of the hospital, but the information in it belongs to you. If you would like copies of your medical record, you may contact the HIMS Department at (480) 412-3001. You will need to complete a standard "Release of Information Consent Form" and show proof of identification. There may be a fee for locating and copying your record. You may request recent information or a specific document to reduce any costs incurred.

Cardon Children's Medical Center
1400 S. Dobson Road
Mesa, AZ 85202
(480) 412-KIDS (5437)
Follow Us:  
Facebook IconPinterestTwitter IconBlogYouTube Icon
Jump to top links