Child Life Internship
Child Life Specialists serve as members of interdisciplinary teams in these patient care areas:
- School Age
- Surgery, Oncology
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Pediatric Emergency Care
All of our specialists have more than 4,000 hours paid work experience as Child Life Specialists and are able to supervise interns.
- Learn how to apply for a Child Life Internship at Cardon Children's
The Child Life internship is a 560-hour non-paid experience that provides students with the opportunity to enhance their competencies as a Child Life Specialist. The internship does not guarantee future employment at Cardon Children’s Medical Center. Housing, transportation and meals are the responsibility of the intern.
Prior to applying for the internship, please ensure you meet the minimum qualifications. The minimum entrance requirements are consistent with the national standards endorsed by The Child Life Council.
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree. Recommended programs include Child Life, Child Development, Family Studies and Psychology. We do not accept students affiliated with universities for college credit.
- Copy of Completed Course Work Review from the Child Life Council. Please note they do not review classes during the months of March and April, August and September. Please be prepared to submit your coursework early to ensure response by internship deadline.
- Minimum of 100 hours volunteering with hospitalized children, preferably within a Child Life Department.
- Minimum of 100 hours volunteering or working with well children
- Minimum of GPA 3.0 (B average)
The minimum entrance requirements and internship content are based on the Child Life Council’s Standards of Academic and Clinical Preparation Programs in Child Life and Child Life Competencies.
Candidates who are selected for the internship are required to attend Cardon Children’s Medical Center volunteer orientation, complete a background check and pass a health screening (TB skin test) prior to their start date.