Outpatient Diabetes Care
The Cardon Children's Medical Center outpatient diabetes program is specially designed to help your child and your family live with this chronic condition.
Our team includes pediatric endocrinologists, diabetes educators, registered dietitians, social workers and child life specialists. This team works together to ensure you and your child receive the right information at the right time.
Our outpatient sessions include time with a pediatric diabetes educator and pediatric registered dietitian. We also offer one-on-one time with a child life specialist.
Our services require a physician referral. You can download this referral form or request a form by calling (480) 412-4557. Once we have your referral, we will work with you to set up an appointment and enroll you in our Diabetes Training Program.
Program topics include:
- Introduction to diabetes
- Treatment: How insulin works and how to give it safely. Includes training on an insulin pump if necessary.
- Nutrition: How to eat healthy and keep track of your carbohydrates.
- Maintenance: How to check your blood sugar and how to handle highs and lows.
- Advanced Training: Update skills in insulin pump use and learning new ways to treat your diabetes.
- Physical Activity: How to exercise safely and how it can improve your health.
- Life with Diabetes: How you can live a normal, active life at school and home.