News at Banner Lassen Medical Center  

Holiday Safety

 
 
holly  

Poinsettias
The sap of the poinsettia is bitter and unpleasant, but the plant is not deadly.
That has become one of the urban legends over the years. Poinsettias are listed as a toxic plant because they will cause irritation in the mouth if ingested and possibly vomiting. This is especially true with pets as they attempt to erase the bad taste from their mouths.

Holly and mistletoe
Both holly and mistletoe are very toxic if ingested.
Berries of both plants can cause severe stomach illness or other problems. Real berries on both holly and mistletoe are often replaced with artificial berries that could pose a choking hazard if swallowed by a child.

Pine trees are not poisonous but pine needles can be dangerous if a child tries to eat them.  It is a good idea to keep the area under the tree clean, especially as the tree dries out and the needles fall more frequently.

If a poisoning has occurred
Don't panic. Usually, a large amount of a poisonous plant must be eaten to cause severe symptoms and hospitalizations are rare.

  • Remove any of the remaining plant from the mouth.
  • Wash around the mouth and the hands. 
  • Call the Banner Good Samaritan Poison Control and Drug Information Center at 1(800) 222-1222
  • Follow the nurse's instructions.

Other holiday hazards to children and pets

  • Lamp oils can cause severe damage to the stomach linings
  • Some aromatic oils can cause a deadly form of pneumonia in the lungs or seizures if swallowed.
  • Children can find alcohol leftover from holiday parties, often in drink glasses that haven't been cleaned or in eggnog.
Banner Lassen Medical Center
1800 Spring Ridge Dr.
Susanville, CA 96130
(530) 252-2000
Follow Us:  
Twitter IconFacebook IconYouTube Icon
 
 
 
Jump to top links