Surgical Care at Sterling Regional MedCenter
Skilled surgeons and caring experienced support staff provide patients at Sterling Regional MedCenter with the highest standards of surgical care.
The peri-operative suite use advanced technology including laparoscopy, arthroscopy, and sentinel-node location which allows surgeons to use a minimally invasive approach whenever medically possible. Among our surgical specialties are:
- General: bowel surgery, breast biopsy and mastectomy, all types of hernia repairs (open and laparoscopic), appendectomy, removal of gallbladder, thyroid surgery, rectal procedures, and many other types of general surgery
- OB/Gynecology: hysterectomy (open and laparoscopic), tubal ligation, D&C, hysteroscopy, and c-section.
- Orthopedic: total joint replacement for hips, knees, and shoulders; arthroscopy and repairs for shoulders, elbows, knees, and ankles. Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction is included.
- ENT: Ear tube procedures, tonsils, adenoids, mouth and sinus procedures
- Urology: Bladder procedures, prostate procedures, including those with laser, and lithotripsy
- Ophthalmology: latest techniques for cataract removal with lens implantation
- Endoscopy: Colonoscopy and EGDs
- Podiatry: to include bunionectomy, hammer toe repairs, and planter facial repairs
- Chronic Pain Management: epidural pain injections done by the Anesthesiologist
An exceptional support staff, including certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA), under the support of Anesthesiologists, provide safe and innovative anesthesia care.
An important aspect of surgical care is post procedure pain management. Our goal is to keep discomfort to an acceptable level so patients can rest and participate in therapy. Your surgeon or CRNA will discuss the pain relief methods available. We use femoral blocks, sciatic blocks, inter-scalene blocks and epidurals to help manage pain.
Patients are cared for throughout the surgical areas from the pre-operative holding unit, to the operating room, to the post-anesthesia care unit.
Family Centered Care
The Sterling surgical care staff provides family-centered patient care. From the time the patient begins preparing for surgery through discharge, our team talks with the family about the recovery process to help ease any anxieties. Planning for discharge is just as important as planning for admission. We work with the patient during their stay to meet any discharge needs.