Evidence-Based Medicine Resources
Ovid Databases through Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix Library (ID & Password required from all out of network computers)
- ACP Journal Club Consists of two full text journals, the ACP Journal Club and Evidence Based Medicine. Editors screen and identify studies that are both methodologically sound and clinically relevant to review. These reviews are expanded abstracts and commentaries.
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (COCH) The premier collection of regularly updated systematic reviews, including many meta-analyses and protocols, all full text.
A bibliographic database of 350,000 definitive, controlled trials identified by the reviewers of the Cochrane Collaboration and others.
- Provides structured abstracts of good systematic reviews from the journal literature. Each entry is reviewed by the “experts” at the Centre for Reviews and desemination of the NHS.
- BOOKS@OVID--Clinical Evidence Published by the BMJ Publishing, provides current state of knowledge and uncertaintlies in medical information and summarizes the best available evidence on prevention and treatment of many clinical conditions.
Topic like reviews on specific clinical topics, heavily referenced, but no explicit use of ebm principles.
Free Federal Government Sponsored Databases
Free access, no passwords required
- PubMed Clinical Queries –an EBM filter to Medline that searches questions of therapy, diagnosis, etiology or prognosis by searching for the highest levels of evidence.
- HSTAT Health Services Technology Assessment Texts
A collection of large full text clinical practice guidelines, quick guides, technology assessments And NIH Consensus Reports as well as evidence reports from the Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ) health information. Also provides links to PSTF to Clinical preventive Services and CDC prevention guidelines
World Wide Web Resources
- National Electronic Library for Health An electronic clearinghouse of health initiatives in the UK and NHS, ebm links are found under the “Knowledge Menu”, however some sites are restricted to NHS staff. Provides links to NICE (Natl Inst for Clinical Effectiveness) and Bandolier.
- Netting the EvidenceFrom the Univ. of Sheffield, UK, is a listing of EBM resources on the Internet, very comprehensive and current
- SUMSearch From Uthsc-San Antonio is an Internet search interface that simultaneously searches various internet EBM sources and then collates the results to one page.
- (Turning Research into Practice) A British meta search engine for ebm materials; searches pubmed, guidelines and etextbooks. Offers two levels of service, TripPlus, a paid subscription, and a free Trip Basic.
Major EBM Research Centers
- Canadian Cochrane Network and Centre CCN/C coordinates the efforts of the Cochrane Collaboration in Canada. It is the premiere center, credited with beginning and formalizing evidence-based practices. It is located at McMasterUniversity in Hamilton, Ontario.
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine Located in Oxford,UK, and formerly funded by the NHS, its aim is to promote evidence based healthcare and provide support and resources.
- Centre for Health Evidence Is a joint venture by the Universities of Alberta and Manitoba, and the Canadian Office of Health, its function is to promote evidence based health care.
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination Located in York, UK, the Centre was established in 1994 for the NHS to determine the effectiveness of treatments and their delivery
- Cochrane Center Established in 2002, with the merger of the Boston, Providence and San Francisco Centers. It serves as the first point of contact for the work of the Cochrane Collaboration in the US.
- Evidence-based Practice Centers Established by the AHCPR to promote evidence based practice, 12 US and Canadian academic medical centers were selected to provide syntheses and analyses of the scientific literature.
- National Guidelines Clearinghouse Sponsored by AHRQ, HHS and in partnership with the AMA and American Assoc of Health Plans (AAHP) is a public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. This site allows the users to do a “guideline comparison” of selected guidelines and provides “guideline syntheses on selected topics
- National Quality Measures Clearinghouse Sponsored by AHRQ and HHS serves as a repository for evidence-based quality measures and measure sets. NQMC Browse permits users to view by disease, treatment, domain, or organization issuing the measure.
- MDConsult Core Collection Practice Guidelines. Password Access Only
MDC continuously searches the medical literature to identify newly issued or revised practice guidelines. They are indexed by organization, specialty and subject
- AHRQ Preventive Services Webpage Provides links to the Guide for Clinical Preventive Services by the U.S. Preventive Task Force and also links to Put Prevention into Practice and new releases on prevention
- NeLH Guidelines Finder. Located at Natl Elec Lib for Health and developed by Sheffield Center contains the UK’s national guidelines and links to international guidelines.
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN) Formed in 1993 by the Scottish NHS to translate research into practice, set and monitor standards and promote clinical excellence.
- AHCPR Clinical Practice Guidelines These are a series of 19 practice guidelines created between 1992-1996, they are not current and should be used for archival purposes only.
- BGSMC IM EBM Presentation Outline
P.I.C.O Model Examples
JAMA User Guides Contains the complete set of full text Users’ Guides originally published in JAMA.
Guides and Tutorials
- Toolboxes— provide an assortment of materials or “tools”that are useful for getting started. The emphasis is on “how to” materials.
- EBM Toolbox, Centre for Evidence Based Medicine
- All-Purpose 4-fold Table Analyser
- Evidence Based Medicine Tool Kit
- EBM Evidence Article Pyramid from the University of Washington Healthlinks
- PubMed Tutorial
- Evidence Based Practice Tutorial from the Department of Family Medicine at University of Washington
- Evidence Based Medicine Guide. University of Illinois at Chicago
- Introduction to Evidence-Based Medicine. Duke University Medical Center
- Clinical Calculator From the Medical College of Wisconsin, includes a Bayesian statistical calculator and other calculation for clinical formulas
- Statistics at Square One Based on the book by the same title, provides concise discussions of basic statistics; eg population samples, confidence ratios etc.
Evidence Based Medicine Publications
- Books ( Located in Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix Library) This is just a sampling of the many titles available.
- Clinical evidence concise: the international source of the best available evidence for effective health care, by BMJ Reference WB 102 C641 2002 Other editions 2000-2001 in circulating collection.
- Evidence-based medicine: how to practice and teach EBM, by David L Sackett, 2000. Reference WB 102 E933 2000.
- How to read a paper: the basics of evidence based medicine by Trisha Greenhalgh. W 20.5 G813h 2001.
- Users’ guides to the medical literature: essentials of evidence-bashed clinical practice, by Gordon Guyatt, 2002. Reference WB 39 U845 2002.
EBM Books for Specialties
- The Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix Library collects many books on EBM and the subject specialties, to see current titles use BannerCat online catalog.
- Evidence-based cardiology, by Salim Yusuf, 2003. WG 166 E93 2003
- Evidence-based health care: how to make health policy and management decisions, by J.A. Muir Gray, 1997. WB 102 G779e 1997.
- Geriatric medicine: an evidence-based approach, by Christine Cassel., 2003. Reference WT 100 G36635 2003.
- Chronic wound management: the evidence for change, by Raj Mani, 2003. WO 185 C557 2003.
- Clinical practice guidelines of the American Academy of Pediatrics: a compendium of evidence-based research for pediatric practice, by American Academy of Pediatrics, 1999. WS 200 C641 1999.
- Quick consult guide to clinical trials in thrombosis management, by Kurt Kleinschmidt, 2002. WG 300 K64 2002.
The following books are only a sample of some of the titles available.
- Basic & clinical biostatistics, by Beth Dawson, 2001. Reference WA950 D272b 2001.
- Biostatistics in clinical medicine, by Joseph A. Ingelfinger, 1994. WA 950 B6165 1994.
- Clinical epidemiology: a basic science for clinical medicine, by David L. Sackett, 1991. Reference WA 950 C641 1991
- Primer of biostatistics, by Stanton A. Glantz, 1997. WA 950 G545p 1997.
Journals (Located in Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix Library)
- ACP Journal Club, published by the American College of Physicians provides structured ebm article summaries of important and timely research articles published in other medical journals.
- Journal of Family Practice, published monthly, each issue provides POEMS (Patient Oriented Evidence that Matters) which are article reviews of published studies important to primary care practitioners. Also provides Clinical Inquiries which are ebm answers to submitted clinical questions. There is an online archive to the journal and POEMS at www.jfponline.com
- BOOKS@OVID--Clinical Evidence (password required if accessing from non Banner computer) BMJ best evidence on many clinical topics
- StatRef ACP Pier —(Physician’s Information and Education Resource) evidence-based point-of –care for the most prevalent clinical topics, and provides ranking of evidence.
- Bandolier: Evidence-Based Health Care Bandolier is a print and Internet journal from the University of Oxford,using evidence-based medicine techniques. It presents clinically relevant studies from the medical literature and evaluates study design and outcomes.