Pita with Black Bean Salad
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 diced tomato
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- ½ cup diced green onion
- garlic powder to taste
- ground cumin to taste
- 3 Tbsp. fat-free Italian dressing
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- Place rice, black beans, tomato, lettuce and green onion in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add seasonings and salad dressing. Mix well.
- This can be done ahead of time and kept covered in the refrigerator for one to two days.
- Cut pita breads in half.
- Fill each half with a half cup of black bean salad, dividing the salad between the 8 halves.
- Serve immediately or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
Makes 4 servings. Serving size: 1 whole pita
Nutritional analysis per serving:
- Calories 294
- Calories from Fat 24
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Total Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 421mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59g
- Dietary Fiber 10g
- Protein 12g
Exchanges: 2 vegetables, 4 breads, 1.5 lean meats