Drowning Prevention Tips
Drowning is the second leading cause of death to Arizona's children. The Emergency Department staff at Banner Desert Medical Center would like to remind you there are no immunizations against drowning. There is no noise, no screaming, no splashing, only silence when a child drowns.
Keep your child safe by following these simple tips:
- NEVER leave a child unsupervised in or around water.
- EMPTY buckets and other containers and store upside down.
- CLOSE and lock toilet lids.
- LEARN and practice CPR. Keep rescue equipment, a telephone and emergency numbers poolside.
- SURROUND pools and spas with five feet high fencing that have self-closing and self-latching gates.
- WEAR a US Coast Guard approved lifejacket when boating, near open bodies of water or when participating in water sports. Water wings, floaties and air filled toys are not lifesaving devices.
- FEET FIRST, FIRST TIME when diving into water
Questions about water safety? E-mail us!