Helping patients and families match their treatments with their goals
Palliative care is specialized medical care for people with serious illness. This type of care involves addressing physical, intellectual, emotional, social and spiritual needs – whatever the diagnosis. This care is provided by a team of doctors, nurses and other specialists who work with a patient's health care providers to provide an extra layer of support. Palliative care is appropriate at any stage in a serious illness and can be provided together with curative treatment. The goal is to improve quality of life for both the patient and family.
At Banner Health, our palliative care services are provided in the hospital setting through the use of Consultation services and in the Ambulatory setting through clinics and home-based services.
Our palliative care program provides compassionate, comprehensive and interdisciplinary care that reduces suffering and optimizes quality of life by addressing physical, emotional and spiritual needs for patients and families experiencing serious illness.
We provide this care by:
- Assessing the patient/family unit in a holistic manner using an interdisciplinary team.
- Considering the patient/family unit as an integral part of the treatment team.
- Controlling pain and other symptoms as well as relieving
- Restoration of the highest possible functional capacity for each individual and family member.
- Providing psychosocial support.
- Providing all care with sensitivity to the cultural and religious values of the patient and family.
Our Palliative Care Program fully integrates the principles of palliative care throughout the continuum of patient care in all the communities that we serve.
Our team includes:
- Nurse Practitioner
- Registered Nurse
- Social Worker
Our team works directly with the patients’ existing physicians and specialists to coordinate a comprehensive care plan based on matching patients’ treatments with their goals.
Our Palliative Care Program has locations in Arizona and Colorado, including: