- New Hire and Newly Eligible Employee Enrollment
- Qualifying Events for Enrollment Changes
- Annual Enrollment
- Still Have Questions?
New Hire and Newly Eligible Employee Enrollment
You will have 31 days from your hire date (or from the date you first moved into an eligible position) to complete your enrollment for medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Account, Life/Accidental Death and Dismemberment and the Hyatt Legal plans. Whether you enroll on day one, day 10 or day 31 of your enrollment period, your benefit coverage will begin on the first of the month following your hire/eligibility date. If your hire or eligibility date falls on the first day of the month, your coverage will begin on that date.
For example, if your hire date is Jan. 23, you have until Feb. 23 to complete enrollment. Even if you don’t enroll until Feb. 15, your benefit coverage would have a Feb. 1 effective date, and you would be responsible for your share of the February premiums. If your hire/eligibility date falls on the first day of the month, you would still have 31 days to enroll, but your coverage would be effective on your hire/eligibility date.
If you do not enroll at this time, you may enroll during Annual Enrollment or when you have a qualifying event. (See below)
Qualifying Events for Enrollment Changes
You can change your benefit elections through the Service Center at Banner Plan Administration if you have a qualifying event (proof may be required). Depending on the event, you may be able to:
- Add or drop coverage for medical, dental, vision and optional life insurance
- Add or remove dependents from medical, dental, vision and optional life insurance
- Increase or decrease your health care Flexible Spending Account election
- Increase, decrease or stop your dependent care Flexible Spending Account election
Eligible qualifying events include:
- Dependent status – any event which causes your unmarried dependent to satisfy or cease to satisfy eligibility requirements due to age, student status, or similar circumstances under the plan under which you receive coverage.
- Employment status – any event in which employment begins or ends for you or for an eligible dependent; the gain or loss of eligibility due to a change in full-time to part-time status
or vice versa.
- Legal marital status – any event that changes your legal marital status, including marriage, death of a spouse, divorce, legal separation or annulment.
- Medicare eligible status – you or your spouse/domestic partner become Medicare eligible.
- Number of dependents – any event that changes the number of your dependents, including birth, adoption, placement for adoption, divorce or death of a dependent.
- Residence or work site – any event where you or your eligible dependent transfer place of residence or work site that creates a change in your health plan coverage.
All changes due to a qualifying event must be made within 31 days of the event date and are effective the first day of the month following the event. If the event falls on the first day of the month, your changes will be effective on the event date. There is one exception to this rule: newborns are effective on their date of birth.
You will need to complete and submit the Benefits Change and Benefits Enrollment Form.
An Annual Enrollment is held each fall. During this enrollment period, you may make new benefit elections or changes for the next calendar year to your medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Account, Life/Accidental Death and Dismemberment and the Hyatt Legal plans. Enrollment must be completed during the designated annual enrollment period. Annual Enrollment information is provided each year through Banner Health's regular internal communications channels, including the employee website.
NEW FOR 2014: