Maternity and Childbirth
The following Banner Health programs may be available to you for maternity and childbirth leaves of absence.
To begin a leave of absence or disability claim, contact CIGNA at (888) 842-4462 (or (888) 84CIGNA), weekdays from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Central Standard Time.
Family Medical Leave (FML)
- If you are eligible, FML provides up to 12 weeks of unpaid job-protection. FML runs concurrently with Short-Term Disability (STD) and Medical Leaves.
- If you use six (6) weeks of FML in conjunction with STD, you may take up to another six (6) weeks off based on remaining available FML hours. Any available Paid Time Off (PTO) hours must be used for FML. Department approval is required if you want to have intermittent FML.
- If both parents are Banner employees, FML time is shared between parents. For example, you can have six (6) weeks of FML and your spouse can have six (6) weeks of FML for a combined total of twelve (12) weeks.
- Refer to the Employee Handbook on Banner’s employee website for more information about Family Medical Leave.
- If you are not eligible for FML, you may request a Medical Leave. Refer to the Employee Handbook on Banner’s employee website for more information about Medical Leave.
Short-Term Disability (STD)
- If you are eligible, you may apply for STD for coverage following delivery or when your physician says that you can no longer work. STD benefits are available after a seven day waiting period, and benefits must be supplemented using available Paid Time Off (PTO).