Patients' Privacy Rights
Banner Health is committed to protecting the confidentiality of information about you, and is required to do so by law. We are required to give you this Notice about patient privacy and list your rights when it comes to privacy.
What are your rights?
- You have the right to request information about you: You have the right to look at information about you and to get a copy of that information. This includes your medical record, your billing record and other records we use to make decisions about
your care. To request information about you, submit a written authorization to Health Information Management Services
for medical information and to the Business Office for your billing records. If you request a copy of your information, we may charge you for our costs to copy the information. We will tell you in advance approximately what this copying will cost. You can look at your record at no cost. The law requires us to keep the original record.
- You have the right to request to amend or supplement information about you that you believe is incorrect or incomplete: If you see information about you and believe that some of the information is incorrect or incomplete, you may ask us to amend your record. You may submit a request to amend your information. Submit a written request to Health Information
Management Services for medical information or to the Business Office for your billing records.
- You have the right to get a list of certain disclosures of information about you: You have the right to request a list of certain disclosures we made of information about you. If you would like to receive such a list, contact Health Information Management Services. We will provide the first list to you at no charge, but we may charge you for any additional lists you request during a 12-month period. We will tell you in advance approximately what this list will cost.
- You have the right to request restrictions on how Banner Health will use or disclose information about you for treatment, payment or health care operations: You have the right to request us not to use or disclose information about you, to treat you, to seek payment for care, or to operate the health care system. We are not required to agree to your request, but if we do agree,
we will comply with that agreement unless that information is necessary to provide you emergency treatment. We will try to
honor a restriction of your information for payment purposes. If you want to request a restriction, submit your request in
writing describing your request to Health Information Management Services for medical information and to the Business Office for your billing records.
- You have the right to request confidential communications:
You have the right to request us to communicate with you in a way that you feel is more confidential. We will accommodate reasonable requests, including alternative addresses or
alternative means. For example, you can ask us not to call your home, but to communicate only by mail. To do this, submit your request in writing to Health Information Management Services. You can ask to speak with your health care providers
in private, outside the presence of other
- You have the right to a copy of the patient’s notice of privacy practices: You have the right to a paper copy of notice at any time. You may obtain a copy by clicking here or you may obtain a paper copy of the notice at the patient registration desk.
Which health care providers does this notice cover?
This Notice of Privacy Practices applies to Banner Health facilities and its personnel, volunteers, students and trainees. The notice also applies to other health care providers that come to the facility to
care for patients, such as physicians, physician assistants, therapists, emergency services providers, medical transportation companies, medical equipment suppliers and other health care providers not
employed by Banner Health unless these other health care providers give you their own notice that describes how they will protect your medical information. Banner may share your medical information with
these other health care providers for their treatment, payment, and health care operation. This arrangement is only for sharing information and not for any other purpose.
Changes to this notice We may amend or revise our practices concerning how we will use or disclose patient medical information, or how we will implement patient rights concerning their information. We reserve the right to change this notice and to make the provisions in
our new notice effective for all information about you that we maintain. If we change these practices, we will publish a revised Notice of Privacy Practices. You can get a copy of our current Notice of Privacy Practices upon request and at registration sites, the information desk, mergency
department, outpatient areas, nursing, etc.