Banner Health at a Glance
Regarded and recognized as a top health system in the country for the clinical quality consistently provided to patients in our hospitals, nonprofit Banner Health is headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, and operates 29 hospitals, includng three academic medical centers and other related health entities and services in seven states.
We have rapidly evolved from a health system of hospitals to a fully integrated system that includes significantly expanded services through Banner Health Network, Banner Medical Group and, in 2015, with Banner – University Medicine
With nearly 300,000 members currently served by the Banner Health Network, a number that is anticipated to significantly increase, Banner has demonstrated the ability to effectively manage the health and wellness of populations of insured members in both government and private plans.
Banner – University Medicine is the new academic medicine division of Banner Health, anchored in Phoenix and Tucson. This division includes three academic medical centers:
- Banner – University Medical Center Tucson
- Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix
- Banner – University Medical Center South
By the numbers:
- One of the largest nonprofit hospital systems in the country.
- Twenty-eight acute-care hospitals and health care facilities.
- With more than 47,000 employees, Banner Health is the largest private employer in Arizona and third largest employer in the Northern Colorado front range area.
- We offer comprehensive services, physician services, hospice and home care.
- Our research is internationally recognized.
- We offer specialized services such as those at:
- We operate in seven states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Nebraska, Nevada and Wyoming.
- We are headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona. Our address is 1441 N. 12th St., Phoenix, Arizona 85006.
- Map of all Banner Health locations
- Named a Top 5 Large Health System three out of five years by Truven Analytics (formerly Thomson Reuters).
- Twenty-one of our hospitals are at the highest level of electronic medical records.
- At our 55-bed simulation medical center -- the largest "virtual hospital" of its kind -- our health care providers can enhance their skills and training.
- Banner Health is the first health care provider in Arizona and Colorado to use technology to monitor patients from hundreds of miles away using Banner Telehealth.
- Research in the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer's disease conducted by the Banner Alzheimer's Institute and the Banner Sun Health Research Institute has resulted in two grants of nearly $50 million to support BAI's innovative approach and leadership in the field of Alzheimer's disease prevention.
- We provide $84 million a year in charity care.
- Unpaid cost of public programs, Medicaid and other programs for those uninsured - $227 million
- Health professional education - $23 million
- Research activities - $11 million
- Total cost of the community benefit and the unpaid cost of Medicare - $457 million
Reviewed & updated July 2015