Renal Diabetic Unit
The Renal Diabetic Unit at Banner Desert Medical Center is dedicated to providing excellent inpatient diabetes care and outpatient diabetes education to people with diabetes, pre-diabetes, and associated disorders.
The Renal Diabetic unit is renowned for its high standards of renal care, providing specialist inpatient care, hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and outpatient education to our patients. We have a long history of developing and applying effective new treatments of diabetes including:
- Development of new methods for measuring long-term glucose control that guide therapy
- Pancreas and islet transplantation for type 1 diabetes
- Development of implantable insulin pumps
- Intensive therapies for type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Discovery of new hormonal therapy for type 2 diabetes
- Innovative methods to treat the disease and prevent long-term complications
In addition to treating the metabolic abnormalities of approximately 2,500 adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, we focus on preventing complications and rapidly and effectively treating any complications that may occur. We address associated medical problems of obesity, pre-diabetes and metabolic syndrome, dyslipidemia, hypertension, eye, kidney, nerve, and cardiovascular disease.
For patients needing kidney dialysis, Banner Desert is a leading provider of inpatient dialysis services in the East Valley. The unit offers seven hemodialysis stations, providing roughly 3,800 treatments annually for more than 2,000 different patients.
Banner Desert Medical Center offers outpatient Diabetes Education in a forum setting so patients can learn about diabetes self -management, including:
- nutritional and pharmacological management
- monitoring of blood sugar
- prevention and treatment of long and short-term complications.
Each patient is carefully assessed by the diabetes nurse educator and registered dietitian in order to tailor the program to their individual needs.
On an outpatient basis, we offer community members a monthly diabetes support group to connect with others.