Becoming a Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in being a volunteer at Banner Estrella Medical Center. We ask all our volunteers to consider the following points before applying:
- Banner Estrella volunteers must be at least 16 years old. Student positions are limited, so interested individuals are encouraged to contact the Volunteer Services Department in advance.
- All our volunteers are required to a service commitment of a minimum of one shift per week, four hours in length, for six months to one year.
- Due to the in-depth nature of the application and training, we require a six-month commitment. Volunteers are encouraged to commit to a regular and consistent volunteer schedule.
- The hospital requires each individual to undergo a background screen and TB test before being cleared to volunteer. To be accepted into the Volunteer Program, you must adhere to these requirements.
Getting started is easy!
To ensure we have the best possible volunteers, we require everyone to complete an online application, group interview and thorough background research process (18 years and older).
This process, which could take up to three weeks, helps to verify that we will continue to make a difference in people’s lives through excellent patient care.
If you are under 18 years of age, a parental consent form is required to be submitted with your application.
Once the online application is submitted and received by the Volunteer Services Department, these steps will follow:
- Email confirmation upon receipt of your online application
- RSVP for a group interview with the Director of Volunteer Services. Please be prepared to submit two letters of reference at your group interview.
- If you are a good fit for our program and our current openings, we will contact you to return for:
- Free health screening, including a two-step TB test, which must be completed at Banner Estrella’s Occupational Health Clinic located in the Estrella Medical Plaza across from the hospital
- Volunteer Orientation (approximately 3 hours in length), which is held every third Wednesday of the month
- Position assignment, site-specific training and competency assessment
ID badge and uniform will be issued upon returning all required volunteer forms on your first shadowing/training date.
Why do I need a TB test?
The health screenings are MANDATORY, as they provide Banner Estrella with vital health information to best protect our patients—and our volunteers—from disease. If you don’t have vaccination records, we may do blood work to determine if vaccines are needed. If you have questions about the health screening, please call the Occupational Health Office at (623) 327-4100.