Outpatient Pain Management Services
Banner Thunderbird Outpatient Pain program offers patients a way to manage chronic pain and return to more normal living.
What you can expect from the Pain Management Program
The goal of pain management is to improve functional capacity and increase your quality of life by managing chronic pain. Managing chronic pain often does not mean eliminating pain but rather bringing it to more manageable levels, allowing you to participate in your life without being controlled by your pain.
Our physicians are highly qualified and specialize in the treatment of pain. You will be seen for an initial evaluation by our pain management team which includes the physician, a physical or occupational therapist and a behavioral health therapist for overall case management. A comprehensive plan of care will be developed to meet your specific needs.
The Banner Thunderbird Outpatient Pain Program is multidisciplinary, which means that when appropriate, multiple approaches are used to help manage the pain.
Different approaches to pain management:
- Pain injections: We offer various procedures such as epidural steroid injections or trigger point injections when appropriate. We use local anesthesia and conscious sedation to minimize discomfort. Injections are scheduled at the hospital on an outpatient basis, usually with X-ray guidance for needle placement. These procedures are often done in a series of three to four weeks apart depending on the patient's response.
- Medication management may be part of your treatment. We use various types of pain medications, including opiate-based medications. If these medications are used, we require controlled substance contracts and random drug screens.
- Physical and occupational therapies such as aquatics are used to build endurance and strength, increase functional capacity and to help manage pain.
- Pain class/group therapy is offered at no charge to you or your insurance company. These classes are recommended to educate, increase insight and support our patients.
- Techniques such as guided imagery, biofeedback and progressive relaxation are taught and practiced in the class or group. These classes are offered on a weekly basis.
The Pain Management office and treatment rooms are located at:
Paseo Medical Plaza
5605 W. Eugie Ave.
Glendale, AZ 85304
Contact information for the Pain Program and Rehab Services:
- Robert Meighan, Clinical Manager.
602-865-5974 Fax 602-865-4867
- Rehab Services business office:
- Physical, Occupational and Aquatic scheduling: