Feeding & Swallowing Therapy
Cardon Children’s Pediatric Swallowing and Feeding Rehabilitation Clinic provides feeding assessment, consultation and therapy that is comprehensive and individualized.
We are focused on family-centered care to educate caregivers on how to strengthen positive eating behaviors. We help develop strategies to help your child eat more with less refusing and stress for the family at mealtime.
- Is it picky eating or problem feeding? Watch this video about what our therapists recommend VIDEO
- Watch one family's story as they navigate feeding therapy and Eosinophilic Esophagitis, a disorder that causes severe allergies to food VIDEO
We promote an atmosphere that encourages healthy eating habits in their normal environment. We treat children up to 18 years old in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
Common Feeding Disorders
A child with a feeding disorder may experience one or more of the following:
- Limited or poor oral intake
- Food refusal
- Picky eaters
- Lack or decreased appetite
- Slow or inadequate weight gain
- Problems tolerating tube feedings
- Transitioning from tube to oral feeding
- Tube weaning
- At risk or history of aspiration
- Sensory problems
- Swallowing and chewing difficulties
- History of gagging
- Oral sensitivity or defensiveness
- Fear / anxiety related to eating
During the initial evaluation, our staff will ask you for a complete medical and feeding history, including a list of all current medications and dosage.
We ask that caregivers bring a meal for the child to eat so we can note any environmental factors that are contributing to undesirable mealtime behaviors. Then we will do a complete oral motor examination and devise feeding recommendations. We will discuss a management plan that works for you and your family.
From there, you can expect a comprehensive report to arrive by mail a few weeks after your initial evaluation. This report will also be sent to the referring physician and other specialists you choose. You will also be contacted by our staff to schedule regular treatments.
Cardon Children’s Pediatric Swallowing and Feeding Rehabilitation Clinic believes children with feeding problems require the expertise of several pediatric specialists and has direct access to a team of professionals including developmental pediatrics, occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech pathology/ oral-motor therapy, nutrition, gastroenterology, pulmonology and neurology.
Our highly proficient staff works together to ensure patients and their families receive the best care possible.