Banner Health Services  

Birth certificates

Susan Gogos  

Susan Gogos, birth recorder at Banner Ironwood Medical Center in San Tan Valley, Ariz.

Question: If I am not married to the father of the baby, can his name still be put on the birth certificate?

:  Yes, the father of the baby can be placed on the Birth Certificate during your hospital stay.  There are, however, certain criteria to be met: 

  • If the mother of the baby is married to someone else, her husband will need to sign a waiver.
  • She has to be legally divorced 10 months prior to the delivery of the baby if the potential father of the baby does not want genetic testing done to determine that the child is biologically his.

If all the above criteria are met, then the Birth Recorder will meet with the parents in their hospital room to have parents sign the Acknowledgement of Paternity documents. 

If the father of the baby cannot be at the hospital, a paternity packet will be sent home with the mother, with instructions on how to complete it. 

If the mother receives state assistance (such as the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System, etc.), she must establish paternity for her child as a condition of receiving this assistance. If she doesn’t state the father’s name on the birth certificate, her assistance could be reduced or even terminated.

More information is available by calling the Hospital Paternity Program of Arizona at 602-252-4045, or (800) 882-4151.

Page Last Modified: 11/26/2013
Follow Us:  
Facebook IconPinterestTwitter IconBlogYouTube Icon
Jump to top links