Cancer screening exams are medical tests that are performed when a person has no symptoms. All women should be familiar with their breasts so that they will notice any changes and report them to their doctor without delay.
The screening recommendations below apply to most women.
Age 25 to 39
- Clinical breast exam every one to three years (A health care provider checks for lumps or other changes.)
Age 40 and older
- Clinical breast exam every year
- Mammogram every year
Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center also recommends the following:
- Having “breast self-awareness”, knowing your breasts and reporting any changes to physicians.
- If you are age 35 or older, ask your doctor to calculate your breast cancer risk.
- Consider additional screening if you are at risk.
Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center offers the full range of screening and diagnostic tools for detecting breast cancer at our outpatient Women's Imaging Center. To schedule a screening mammogram, please call (480) 543-6900.