There are many things to think about when making choices about breast reconstruction. In addition to medical reasons to choose one option over another, there are also your personal values and preferences. Use the answers to the questions below to help you decide what option you would prefer.
Talk to your reconstructive surgeon about any medical issues that may affect which options will be best for you. Ask your doctor:
- If you can have breast reconstruction
- If you will need other cancer treatments that will delay reconstruction
- What reconstruction options are possible with your body size and shape
Also, when thinking about breast reconstruction, ask yourself the following questions:
- How do I want to look in and out of my clothes?
- How much time am I willing to spend recovering from surgery?
- What physical activities do I participate in that could be affected by surgery to my stomach or back?