Seeing your primary care physician regularly is a good investment for your health. When you visit your doctor, he or she will recommend exams that may catch problems early.
It is recommended that both adults and children visit their doctor to get a yearly checkup, even if you feel perfectly fine.
Benefits of seeing your doctor regularly include:
- Discuss ways to stay healthy and prevent disease.
- Catching potential health conditions early on when they are more treatable.
- Providing you a with better understanding about your health history.
- Helping you prevent complications (for those with chronic health conditions).
- Helping you develop a relationship with your doctor to better communicate with them.
- Allowing you to be proactive with your health, reducing the amount of Emergency Room visits and lowering your health care costs in the long run.
Preparing for your annual visit
- Write down any questions you may have for your doctor and bring them with you.
- Bring a list of any medications you’re currently taking.
- Share your family history with your doctor, as well as any health concerns you may have.
- Ask your doctor what health screenings are right for you based on your age and family history.
If you still don’t have a PCP, be sure to do your research to find a doctor that is right for you.