Help your children stay safe by learning the steps of safe street crossing and how to play outdoors even with they are around traffic.
Teach your children to cross streets safely:
- Stop at the edge of the street before crossing.
- Cross at the corner of the street if you are close to a corner. Always use cross walks when available.
- Never cross between parked cars because it is hard for drivers to see you.
- Look left – right - left to make sure no traffic is coming. If you are at a corner be sure to look over your shoulder for cars that might be turning.
- If driver is slowing down to let you cross, try to make eye contact to make sure they see you before you cross.
- Walk, don’t run, across the street when no traffic is coming but be sure to look left and right as you cross.
- Have younger children walk with an adult or older child.
- Make sure you can be seen at night. Trim clothing with materials that reflect light, such as reflective tape.