Tucson volunteers provide integral support to Banner’s mission of “making health care easier so that life can be better,” and are dedicated to maintaining a high standard of excellence, while maintaining Banner’s values and purpose.
Through generous gifts of time and talents, our volunteers make health care easier through direct assistance to our patients and their families, and by enabling our staff to provide high-quality health care in a reasonable time-frame.
Requirements to Become a Volunteer
- Provide a time commitment of at least 2 hours each week for a minimum of 6 months
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Be able to provide current up-to-date immunization records, such as: MMR, Varicella and Influenza (seasonal) vaccination as well as pass a TB test with a negative result
- Be prepared to attend a group interview session
- Have the ability to pass a background check
Immunization Requirement Details
- TB Test - Banner will require a test to show proof that you are free of TB. Your blood will be drawn at your appointment as Banner uses a blood test to determine your TB status. If for any reason you are unable to have a blood test, you can provide proof of a negative TB skin test done within the past 12 months or proof of 2 negative TB skin tests done in your life. A TB test is required on an annual basis thereafter.
- MMR Vaccinations - Banner requires evidence of MMR immunity for all volunteers. Immunity is obtained from either having had the diseases or receiving 2 doses of the MMR vaccine during your lifetime. (MMR immunity is not required if you were born before 1957). Either documentation of 2 MMR vaccines, or a positive MMR blood titer will satisfy Banner’s one-time requirement for proof of immunization.
- Varicella (Chickenpox) Vaccinations - Banner requires evidence of Varicella immunity for all volunteers. Immunity is obtained from either having had the disease or receiving vaccinations. Either documentation of 2 Varicella vaccines, a positive Varicella blood titer, or proof of 2 Varivax vaccines will satisfy Banner’s one-time requirement for proof of immunization. Historical proof of Varicella immunity may be provided by your physician through a formally-written and signed letter on your physician’s official letterhead.
- Influenza Vaccination - The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) determine the official timeframes of flu season each year – typically October through April. Each year, Banner requires seasonal documentation of flu vaccination for all volunteers.
How to Begin
To start the process of becoming a Banner University Medical Center volunteer, please refer to the information below:
- To inquire about upcoming group interview sessions please call (520) 694-6703 for more information.
- Please review all requirements to become a volunteer before attending a group interview. Please see reference above.
- Group interviews will be held at the Banner – University Medical Center Tucson campus.
*Room location and times for each interview will be indicated upon sign-up.
To learn about our additional volunteer opportunities available at our hospitals and clinics throughout Tucson, please feel free to call (520) 694-6703 if you have any further questions.
Volunteer Information Center access
Learn more about our Specialty Programs
View our Frequently Asked Questions