The two-year clinical medical physics residency program at Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center is catered to medical physicists who intend to work in the clinical therapy aspect of radiation oncology physics. The Banner MD Anderson Medical Physics Residency Program provides training and experience in the clinical aspects of radiation oncology physics for direct patient care in external beam treatment and brachytherapy.
The resident will have an opportunity to work with the newest technology medical linear accelerators from Varian and Elekta as well as older machines. Training involves rotations with clinical physicists supporting all treatment sites as well as participating in research to be published and presented at local and national meetings. The resident will work under the direct supervision of experienced, board-certified, clinical medical physicists. Training progress will be monitored through regular meetings with the program director.
In addition to the breadth of routine clinical duties that the resident will be responsible for under the supervision of board certified medical physicists, the resident is responsible for completing rotations throughout the two year program which include:
- Commissioning, calibration and intercomparison of dosimetry instrumentation.
- External beam treatment equipment acceptance testing, commissioning, and quality assurance.
- Treatment planning system beam modeling, acceptance, and commissioning.
- External beam treatment planning of 3-D, IMRT, SBRT and SRS treatments.
- Brachytherapy treatment planning (HDR and LDR), treatment delivery and quality assurance.
- Radiation protection and shielding of CT, LINAC, and HDR rooms.
- Patient positioning procedures, techniques and devices used for external beam simulation.
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy procedures, techniques, and devices.
- Patient specific quality assurance
- Special procedures including total body irradiation and total skin electron as well as some additional training on equipment used in the field of medical physics that is available at partner sites outside of Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center (eg: Proton therapy, Tomotherapy, CyberKnife, Gamma Knife, IORT)